A good city — no matter how big or small — needs a good nightlife. It’s even better if that nightlife does not get you strapped for cash the next morning. Thankfully, Kuching delivers on both counts.
Kuching is the capital of the Malaysian state of Sarawak. It is bisected by the Sarawak river, and houses a lot of great tourist attractions. The small city is also host to a bustling nightlife scene. Check out some of the best nightlife establishments in the area.
- Monkee-Bar Bistro. Bar drinking for a cause? Check. Monkee-Bar isn’t named after an animal for no reason. Enjoy cold beer knowing what you spent will go towards helping animals. The people behind the bar work tirelessly to help and rehabilitate animals, from stray dogs to orangutans.
Of course, the overall feel of the bar is great. It has a wide selection of quality drinks and friendly staff. The ambience is nice, and you don’t have to shell out much either. Their beers are priced as cheap as they come. There’s a place for shisha nearby, too.
- Drunk Monkey. Another bar named for the tree-swinging primate, Drunk Monkey is a hidden gem. That’s mostly because it isn’t as easy to find as others unless you are consciously looking for it. The bar itself is interesting, and offers a wide array of drinks. The price is just a notch higher as compared to other bars, but you can’t beat the service and ambience you are getting.
For those looking to immerse in the Kuching street atmosphere, the bar has sidewalk seats. There’s also 1960s and 1970s music. Drunk Monkey is located on Carpenter Street, so you can visit it as often as you’d like. You can choose a budget hotel in Kuching’s rustic shopping area and alternate between this bar and one of the many Chinese shop houses around.
- Walk Star Bistro. While it sports a little less variety than the others here, Walk Star Bistro makes up for it with good decor and service. There’s outside seating, but it’s a pleasure to take in the modern design inside. The price is also very good.
- The Cottage. If you want a great live band, The Cottage has you covered. The band takes requests, so you can drink to the tune of your favorite song. The atmosphere is also homey and welcoming, so you can come here alone and still have a great time.
There is no cover price, so prices here are lower than the alternatives in the area. It would be a good idea to buy spirits by the bottle instead of going for individual drinks, as this can save you more.
- Versus Nite Bar and Karaoke. If you want karaoke, this is the best place. They have a good sound system that will bring out the singer in anyone. They also serve a great array of drinks and light snacks.
If you don’t plan on singing, you can still have a fun night playing cards or darts. For the enthusiast, the bar sells dart equipment too. The price is also reasonable, considering the variety of options the bar offers.
Kuching offers a lot of things for different tastes. Nonetheless, nothing is better than capping off a day’s worth of activities with a relaxing drink at a bar, and some nightlife fun.